Bahá’ís of Kiama
The Bahá’í Faith arrived in the Kiama area in the 1960s, and the Local Spiritual Assembly formed in 1991.
Since then, the Bahá’í Community has organised many events, including Festivals in support of World Peace and the Environment, projects to promote diversity, events to highlight gender inequity, a fund raising event following the Aceh Tsunami, formal meetings with Federal and State Government representatives, commemorations of Centenaries and Bicentenaries of historical Bahá’í events. A Bush Food Garden, to explore avenues of social and economic development for the broader Kiama community, was established and ran for several years.
In addition, the Community has supported Council and other community endeavours in support of climate and environmental action, the plight of refugees, indigenous rights, has participated in Interfaith events, and assisted local Landcare groups.
For more information on Bahá’í history, the following sites are suggested.
Australian Bahá’í Community
- The Australian Bahá’í Community: Official Website of the Australian Bahá’í Community.
- The Sydney Bahá’í House of Worship: The Bahá’í House of Worship – Sydney.
- Australian Bahá’í Distribution Services: Australian Bahá’í book sales site.
World-wide Bahá’í Faith
- The Báb (the “Gate”): The Báb – Herald of the Bahá’í Faith.
- Bahá’u’lláh (the “Glory of God”): Writings of Bahá’u’lláh and a history of His life, His teachings, His station.
- The Life of Bahá’u’lláh: A photographic narrative of the life of Bahá’u’lláh, providing a glimpse into the extraordinary life of the Founder of the Bahá’í Faith.
- Bicentenary Celebrations: Highlights from around the world of the 2017 Bicentennial of the Birth of Bahá’u’lláh and the 2019 Bicentennial of the Birth of The Báb.
- ‘Abdu’l-Bahá: ‘Abdu’l-Bahá – The Perfect Exemplar.
- The Universal House of Justice (International governing body): Provides information about the Universal House of Justice and makes available selected statements and letters which have been written by it or prepared under its supervision.
- The Bahá’í Gardens in Haifa and ‘Akka: Information about the Bahá’í Gardens in Haifa and ‘Akka. The gardens have been inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage List for their “outstanding universal value”.